Introduction Letter

 Dear Prof Brad Franklin Blackstone ,


I am Heng Quan from the Mechanical Design and Manufacturing Engineering course. My purpose of this letter is to introduce myself. I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic in 2019 with a diploma in Aeronautical Engineering. I had a keen interest in engineering since young as I was always fascinated by how such a massive aircraft can lift off to the skies. This sparked an interest to learn more about this and hence, I decided to take up engineering to understand more about how machines and science work together.

 My strength is that I am an active listener, and I am also able to provide constructive feedback and criticism through experience gained from my previous work experience as a Relations Executive at a phone company. Then, I mainly answered calls from customers to assist them based on the feedbacks and concerns that were presented to me. After which, I will have to analyze and understand them before answering their concerns promptly and effectively.

My weakness is that I tend to be hesitant and nervous in communication, especially to a large group of people and often end up being awkward or tongue-tied when communicating. This hinders my ability to communicate my thoughts and ideas in a big group effectively.

I also aim to improve my English Language and report writing skills as I often converse in mandarin with my friends and family. I tend to be weaker in the English language and I look forward to improving my English language before entering the workforce in this module. Also, I understood from my peers who are already in the workforce that being able to write out a clear report is not only for the purpose of writing out university assignments, but more importantly for engineers to convey their products and ideas to their customers. Hence, to be a good engineer in the workforce in the future, I understand the importance of having good English skills that can communicate solutions clearly.

What differentiates me from others is that I have a strong perseverance in achieving my goals. For instance, my family were having financial difficulties when I was in my secondary school. Eventually, I had to help my parents at their shop after school which affected my academics and this resulted in me having to take a longer route in my education. However, I persevered on and I am now achieving my goals and aspirations of being an engineer.

 I look forward to attending your lectures for Critical Thinking and Communicating whereby I aim to be able to improve my weaknesses and meet my goals for this module!

Best Regards, 

Heng Quan

Comments

  1. Dear HQ,

    Thanks for posting your letter. I'll leave comments once your peers have done so. Can I ask that you swtich to normal font from italics. It makes for easier reading. Cheers, Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Prof Brad ! thank you for looking through my letter, I will edit my fonts to allow an easier reading experience.

      Cheers,
      HengQuan

      Delete
  2. The letter is well-constructed and organized. Aside from the few grammatical errors and punctuation mistakes, everything else about the letter is done well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mavis! thank you taking the time to read through my letter. I will make the necessary changes accordingly.
      Cheers,
      Heng Quan

      Delete
  3. A few grammatical errors such as, from your second paragraph "During then, I mainly answered calls from customers then to assist them based on the feedbacks and concerns that were presented to me and by which I will have to analyze and understand them before answering their concerns promptly and effectively.".

    I feel that the sentence is too long with no commas or full stop. Instead you could maybe write it like this.

    "During that time, I mainly answered calls from customers to assist them based on the feedback and concerns that were presented to me, which I had to analyze and understand before I could answer to their concerns promptly and effectively.".

    But overall well written introduction letter and I liked the way you provided your real life examples for each of the points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leon! Thank you taking the time to read through my letter. I will make the necessary changes accordingly.
      Cheers,
      Heng Quan

      Delete
  4. Dear HQ,

    Thank you for this mostly clear and well substantiated letter. The content is well aligned with the assignment brief, you appropriately organize your thoughts and the language use is generally effective. You've also done well providing supporting information for each specific content area, which allows us readers to gain an understanding of who you are.

    In the discussion of your strength as an active listener, for example, you mention how you learned such skills such in your work in customer relations. That's a critical skill, of course, one that will support your personal and career development, and it's clear that you can build on that and the others mentioned as being part of your aims in terms of the communication you carry out in our module. .

    One of the most impressive areas of info in this letter is your sharing of how you had to support your parents and their period of difficulties by working in the family shop. That 'never give up' attitude is showing itself as you persevere in working toward a degree in MDME. Congrats for that!

    In terms of language use, there are a few areas in this letter where a review is recommended:
    1. sentence structure
    -- My purpose of this letter is to introduce myself, I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic ... > (comma splice) ?
    -- I had a keen interest in engineering as when I was younger, I was always fascinated .... > (comma splice)
    -- Also, I understood from my peers in the workforce that being able to write out a clear report is not only important for university assignments but more importantly. It is also important for engineers to convey their products and ideas to their customers... > ?
    -- For instance, when I was in my secondary school my family were having financial difficulties and I must help my parents at their shop after school eventually affected my academics and resulting in me having to take a longer path in my education. > (structure/verb tense)
    For instance, when I was in my secondary school, my family were having financial difficulties and I had to help my parents at their shop after school. Eventually that affected my academics, resulting in me having to take a longer path in my education.

    2. use of caps
    -- my previous work experience in Relations > ?
    -- Best Regards, > Best regards,
    -- converse in mandarin > ?

    3. phrasing
    -- During then, > During that time,

    4. verb issues
    -- ...I mainly answered calls from customers then to assist them based on the feedbacks and concerns that were presented to me and by which I will have to analyze and understand.... >
    (tense) ...I mainly answered calls from customers then to assist them based on the feedbacks and concerns that were presented to me and by which I would have to analyze and understand...

    -- would end up being awkward > end up being awkward
    -- This hinders me because I would not be able to communicate my thoughts and ideas in a big group effectively. > (tense) ?
    -- However, I persevered on and now achieving my goals and aspirations of being an engineer. >
    However, I persevered on and now am achieving my goals and aspirations of being an engineer.

    I look forward to working with you further this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Prof Blackstone thank you for taking the time to read through my introduction letter, I have made the necessary changes accordingly !

      Delete
    2. Thanks, HQ, for the revision.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summary (Draft 1)- How an accidental discovery made this year could change the world

“Communication skills are an essential component in the education of engineering students to facilitate not just students’ education but also to prepare them for their future careers.”